Roasted Red Pepper Hummus | Erica Robbin
Healthy, delicious, and easy!
- 1 can (15 oz/1.5 cups) chickpeas/garbanzo beans/fava beans, drained, reserve liquid (may use freshly cooked for a creamier texture)
- 1/2 roasted red bell pepper by cooking 1/2 of pepper drizzled with olive oil, in oven at 400 degrees F (204 C) for 15 minutes, remove skin
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (lightly roasted)
- 1 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-5 cloves garlic (to taste)
- Olive oil to taste and texture
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Cumin, paprika, spearmint leaves, or parsley can also be added as an option, other variations use avocado, roasted beets, or jalapeños and may substitute yogurt in place of tahini (sesame seeds and oils)
ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS:
- ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS:
- Blend all ingredients together in blender or food processor.
- Add olive oil to taste and desired texture. You may add reserved liquid to help achieve desired texture.
- Garnish as desired and serve either warm or cold along with pita or your favorite vegetables, crackers, or pretzels.
Hummus originated from the Middle East. Several variations exist according to region. Since it can be prepared many different ways, the combination of ingredients are endless. Using freshly cooked beans over canned typically yields a creamier texture and if you have the time I’d recommend it!
Let me know if you enjoy eating hummus and how you prepare yours!