Summer Veggie Sandwich | Erica Robbin
Even meat lovers love this sandwich!
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 10 oz Havarti cheese, thinly sliced into 8 slices (2 slices for each sandwich)
- 1 loaf sour dough bread, sliced, soft and fresh variety, may use Pane di Casa as substitute
- 4 oz alfalfa sprouts, properly soaked/rinsed and dried thoroughly, fluffed
- 1 large yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
SUMMER VEGGIE SANDWICH:
- SUMMER VEGGIE SANDWICH:
- Spread cream cheese on both inside slices of bread, follow each side with Havarti.
- Build layers of sandwich with generous amount of sprouts, squash, cucumber, more sprouts to even out gaps, and then onion.
*Please note it can be difficult to find sprouts as some stores have stopped carrying them due to risk of foodborne illness and certain people should avoid them altogether. Cooking the sprouts can help reduce the risk, but I have found that it significantly lessens the fresh sprout flavor and crunch that they offer. As an alternative, micro greens or iceberg lettuce are ok, they’re just not quite the same, if you have any other suggestions to try let me know!
This Summer Veggie Sandwich is my all-time favorite. It’s a light, fresh, and easy to prepare deli-style sandwich. Although it doesn’t contain any meat, meat-lovers will find themselves enjoying it because the Havarti adds plenty of flavor and saltiness.
Enjoy! Let me know if you make this one and what your favorite sandwich is, I’d love to know!