Homemade Guacamole | Erica Robbin
Homemade guacamole is the best!
- 3 avocados, ripened
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, depending on taste and chips you pair it with
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced
- HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE:
- Mash together avocados, garlic, spices, cilantro, and lime juice until well incorporated.
- Mix in tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, and serrano pepper.
- Serve with corn or tortilla chips. It’s also great on toast.
Today is Spicy Guacamole Day! Guacamole, translated as avocado sauce, was originally made by the Aztecs. It can be made in various ways and to the level of heat as desired. I like to do all the vegetable prep work ahead of time before cutting into the avocado to reduce the chance of it turning brown while making it. I also like to work in the garlic, spices, cilantro, and lime juice as I mash the avocado. And if I need to store it in the refrigerator, I’ll squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top and place clear wrap directly onto the guacamole to help keep it from browning.
I hope you enjoy!