Quiche is such a classic dish, whether serving it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
It’s easy to make and I particularly like a homemade, flaky, buttery crust.
You can add any vegetables or meat as preferred, just ensure you sauté the vegetables a bit to remove some of the moisture before adding it to the egg mixture and baking the pies in the oven.
This recipe makes two 9-inch pies. But you can make several smaller pies in aluminum pie plates for an easy freezer meal, or you can also make miniature quiche for an impressive party appetizer.
Savory and delicious.
A classic, yet versatile recipe.
Quiche Crust Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, plus 1 tablespoon set aside for crust assembly
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water (plus 2 tablespoons if needed)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Quiche Crust Instructions
- Mix flour, salt, and butter together using pastry blender or fork.
- Add apple cider vinegar, water, and egg and gently fold (do not knead), roll into two balls, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into rounds to line as bottom crust for each baking dish.
- Prick dough and place baking beans or foil over dough.
- Bake in oven at 400 F degrees (218 C) for about 10 minutes until just golden.
Quiche Filling Ingredients
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetables of choice, lightly sautéed to remove excess moisture such as spinach, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup bacon, crumbled, as desired
- Sprinkle equal parts of cheese, then vegetables and bacon over baked crusts.
- Cover crust edges with strips of foil to prevent edges from burning.
- Blend eggs, cream, and spices together.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese and vegetables.
- Bake pies at 325 degrees F (163 C) for about 30-45 minutes, until cooked through.
- After removing from oven, let rest at room temperature to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.