Marinated Beet Salad with Horseradish Dill Dressing | Erica Robbin
A fresh, hearty salad with a bit of comfort and zip!
Spring has arrived! Now is the time to begin sowing beets for summer harvest. Typically you can find beets at the grocery store all year round. For this salad you can use any type of beet, but I used sugar beets for their flavor and color.
The balance of sweet and tang of this salad is just perfect and the dill along with the horseradish elevates it to fresh and zippy! And it looks so pretty!
You can eat the salad with the beets served slightly warm or marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator for a more pickled flavor.
- MARINATED BEETS:
- 4-6 roasted beets, baked until just tender, slightly cooled, peeled, and cut into wedges. I pierce mine with a fork, rub skins with a bit of olive oil, wrap them securely in foil, and bake them in the oven at 350 degrees F (177 C) for about 45 minutes.
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cherry vinegar, apple vinegar, or sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons dill, fresh, to taste, reserve a few sprigs for garnish
- Croutons, check out my Homemade Croutons recipe.
- Lettuce such as butter lettuce, Bibb, or leafy purple
HORSERADISH DILL DRESSING
- Toss beets, shallot, garlic, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper together.
- If you want to eat your salad with warm beets, just set cover mixture and aside for about 15 minutes or you can have a more pickled flavor by marinating for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Stirring occasionally will help to distribute flavor throughout the beets as they marinate.
- Blend together horseradish, creme fraiche, whipping cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill until it reaches a creamy, yet low volume consistency.
- Layer salad by topping lettuce with dressing and placing beets and croutons over top. Add a sprig of dill for garnish.
HORSERADISH DILL DRESSING:
MARINATED BEET SALAD WITH HORSERADISH DILL DRESSING ASSEMBLY:
I hope you enjoy! It’s one of my most favorite salads!