Maui is a beautiful place and so is the plethora of food available. With many cultural influences and a creation of dishes to call their own. The Maui onion is one such vegetable that gains its characteristics strictly from the soil located on the island itself. The Maui onion is grown in the volcanic soil on Mt. Haleakala. This gives it the sweet, succulent, mild, and tender aspects that it’s known for.
I pickled the onions for this recipe. You can pickle them for one hour or overnight for best results. Of course if you do not have a Maui onion on hand, you’re welcome to use any type and you can also serve it in its raw form as well.
Maui Onion Avocado Toast | Erica Robbin
It's so beautiful!
- 1 Maui onion (or other type), sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate white balsamic vinegar (to be used in pickling process)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (to be used in pickling process)
- 1 cup water (to be used in pickling process)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional, depending on sweetness of onion, for pickling process)
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt, divided (to be used in pickling process, avocado mixture, and sprinkling over top of dish)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided (to be used in pickling process and in avocado mixture)
- 2-4 slices toast, lightly buttered
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided (to be used in avocado mixture and sprinkling over top of dish)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 lime, juiced (reserve slice for garnish)
- 2-4 tablespoons of goat cheese, divided into bits
- 1 roma tomato sliced
- Drizzle virgin olive oil
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 eggs, poached
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced mango
MAUI ONION AVOCADO TOAST:
- MAUI ONION AVOCADO TOAST:
- Prepare pickled onions by layering them in a separate dish.
- Bring both vinegars, water, maple syrup as desired, 1 clove garlic, minced, and salt to a boil over med-high heat. Let cool slightly and pour over layered onion. Set pickled onions aside for 1 hour before plating or refrigerate overnight for additional pickling process to occur.
- Prepare avocado mixture by combining lightly mashed avocado, remaining garlic, one half of the divided salt and pepper, thyme, and lime juice.
- Spread avocado mixture over buttered toast and place onto desired serving dish.
- Layer bits of goat cheese and sliced tomato over top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Top with poached eggs.
- Season and garnish with remaining salt and pepper.
- Cut pickled onion rounds into rainbow halves and add to plate, in addition to the sliced mango and lime slice as garnish.
*Please note that eating raw or undercooked egg can place you at risk for foodborne illness. You can reduce your risk by handling and cooking them according to recommended guidelines.
One response to “Maui Onion Avocado Toast”
[…] for Maui Onion Avocado Toast with a white background, lightly sanded for a shabby chic, undone […]