What can I say? This is an awesome game!
Nintendo Game Inspiration: Honey Chocolate Cake from Overcooked! | Erica Robbin
With only 4 ingredients, this was a fun and challenging cake to make!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 oz 80% dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Honeycomb, chopped
HONEY CHOCOLATE CAKE:
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE PIPING:
HONEYCOMB DECOR CHOPPED:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree (177 C)
- Prepare two 9 inch cake pans with parchment rounds, lightly grease sides.
- Whip butter and sugar until pale using mixer.
- Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Stir in egg yolks that have been lightly beaten.
- Gently fold one-third of egg whites that have been beaten to soft peaks.
- Sift half of the flour mixture (flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg) over top and gently fold in.
- Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Divide batter between prepared pans, bake for 18-22 minutes, until cooked through.
- Transfer to cooling rack. After completely cool, may cut into layers and level as desired.
- Melt chocolate and stir in honey.
- Warm up heavy whipping cream and add chocolate, allow to melt and become smooth, then whip until soft peaks.
- For cake assembly, smear a bit of icing onto surface of desired serving plate, top with one cake layer.
- Apply thin layer of chocolate icing and top with next layer and remaining chocolate icing.
- Pipe border around cake edges and middle with whipped chocolate ganache.
- Top with honey comb.
- Don’t forget to plate and serve on time, the customers are hungry!
HONEY CHOCOLATE CAKE:
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED GANACHE PIPING:
For this recipe I attempted to use the 4 ingredients as outlined in the game, those being egg, flour, chocolate, and honey.
Unfortunately my first attempt fell flat as a pancake and when I tried redeeming it, that one caved too. I ultimately fixed it but only had enough ingredients for one single rounded pan so that’s why it’s only one layer as you can see in the photo.
Nonetheless here is the final recipe I ended up using. It is more like a traditional vanilla butter cake. I just couldn’t get the rise and texture to be sponge like with the honey in there no matter the amount, so I converted it to a regular cake recipe with the addition of butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt, as well as cinnamon and nutmeg for an autumn flavor.
I think a lot of my lack of success had to do with the humidity because my whipped chocolate ganache would not hold either. This part still tasted good and I still stand by the ganache recipe because it is one I use all the time, just not when it’s 100% humidity.
This final recipe is so delicious!
Let me know if you have ever played this game and what level you are currently on in the comments below!