Strawberry Compote and Mascarpone Cream Vanilla Layer Cake with Vanilla Buttercream | Erica Robbin
This Strawberry Compote and Mascarpone Cream Layered Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Buttercream is perfect for Summer.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 recipe Vanilla Simple Syrup
- 1/2 recipe Mascarpone Cream, with added 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 recipe Strawberry Compote
- 1 recipe Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing, with added 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- Decorations as desired, for the cake in these photos I used gum paste flowers and a bit of Homemade Whipped Cream for some additional piping detail
STRAWBERRY COMPOTE AND MASCARPONE CREAM LAYERED VANILLA CAKE WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM:
- STRAWBERRY COMPOTE AND MASCARPONE CREAM LAYERED VANILLA CAKE WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM:
- Cream butter, then gradually add sugar and whip until pale, light, and fluffy.
- Slowly mix in whole eggs.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In cup, mix the warm milk and vanilla.
- While mixing on low speed, slowly add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture in alternating steps, starting and ending with flour until just combined and no white streaks remain.
- Example: mix in a third of flour mixture, half of the milk mixture, third of flour mixture, half of milk, last third of flour mixture.
- In separate clean bowl, whip egg whites and salt until firm peaks.
- Very gently fold in whipped egg whites into batter a third at a time until no white streaks remain.
- Bake in prepared pans at 350 degrees F (177 C) for 18-22 minutes until done.
- Allow cakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove cake and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
- Assemble cake by brushing Vanilla Simple Syrup over layers and layer on Mascarpone Cream, followed by strawberry compote.
- Ice assembled cake with Buttercream Icing and decorate as desired.
This cake is light and not too sweet. Typically I prefer to use straight-sided baking pans and square off the edges along with the caramelization for a more uniformed appearance, but I left the layers the way they were for this cake. Makes for a homemade style with layers that have the look of biscotti. I made the decorative flowers out of gum paste and used bit of Homemade Whipped Cream for some of the piping detail.
Let me know what cakes you have made or are planning to make this summer in the comments below!